jaimearkin

Fiction Fare

I read books like it's my job... even though it's not! My blog is called Fic Fare! Please make sure you're following me over there www.fictionfare.blogspot.com

Please friend/follow me if you're truly interested in having book conversations.

Other things you might want to know... - I read... too much sometimes probably, but I love it. - I love to use gifs. you've been warned. - I'm not afraid to share my opinion. Even if it's unpopular. We can't all like the same things, but I'll be respectful and I expect you to be as well. Thanks for checking me out! Can't wait to discuss all the books with you!!

Finnikin of the Rock
Melina Marchetta
The Unwanteds
Lisa McMann
Coda
Emma Trevayne
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
Brandon Sanderson
In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
Alexandra Bracken

What's Left of Me (Hybrid Chronicles Series #1)

What's Left of Me (Hybrid Chronicles Series #1) - What’s Left of Me has been sitting on my ‘on deck’ shelf for a bit. I don’t know why I didn’t pick this one up sooner and now that I’ve read it, I’m desperately in need of book 2 in this series.Eva and Addie are two souls in one single body. They started out just like everyone else, taking turns to learn to control movements and speak and interact. But unlike everyone else, one of them isn’t ‘settling’. That’s what they call it when one soul becomes more dominant over the other and the recessive soul eventually fades away. While Addie is certainly the more dominant soul and eventually retains control over their body, Eva is still in a part of her consciousness. In order to keep any unwanted attention away from her, Addie has to pretend that Eva doesn’t exist, that she has settled, because if she doesn’t, hybrids are considered dangerous and who knows what would happen to her. But an opportunity arises when Hally Mullan attempts to befriend her and so Eva is provided a chance she thought she’d never get again. I absolutely loved the way Zhang was able to create these two very different voices in one single character. The relationship she crafts between the two is similar to that of twins… which is in essence what Eva and Addie are, only they are one single person. They feed off of each others emotions and are never alone…they fight, and they argue and yet they desperately need each other. As much as Addie wonders what it would be like to be alone for one moment in her life, you can tell the thought scares her. Their bond was amazingly done and the frustration that Eva and even Addie must experience is understandable. The opportunity that arises is that Eva, now the recessive soul and the soul who has no control over anything, could learn. She could learn to speak, to move, to control this body that she has had to be only a participant of for the last three years. She begs Addie to let her try, and so she does. But when they are found out, she is taken away from her family and her friends and put in a hospital where the only people she knows are Hally and Devon. Things obviously aren’t on the up and up there to put it mildly.I’m not telling you anything else though. *zips lips* What I will tell you is this. The story that Zhang has created here is incredibly unique and captivating. The characters and the emotions will pull you in. The plot will have you turning pages and the pacing is wonderfully done, filled with action you will be as intrigued as I was to learn what was happening I promise. Definitely pick this one up if you’re looking for a unique YA story with excellent writing and an intriguing plot. This review can be found on my blog, Fic Fare: